Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year!

Welcome 2010! The new year was brought in pretty quietly this year at the Sarazen household... Jeff and I (and Cole, thankfully) slept right through it. In our defense Cole had a couple really rough nights so we weren't going to gamble with much needed sleep hours! The only one that was still up was my brother David who has been down to help us out with basement renovations.
Thanks to David's help the basement is progressing. As of 7:30 this evening the last piece of drywall has been put up! Next step is to get someone in to do the mudding. From there, we are hoping to have my other brother Daniel down to paint and install the flooring (we found some really nice stuff already-boxing week sale).
Pictured below on New Years Day, Jeff and David with Cole in his walker... he enjoyed scooting around the basement checking out the boys using all the different power tools! I am relieved to have an unaswered question finally settled. I had previously tried numerous times to freeze up a store of breastmilk. Always, whenever I would go to defrost and use it Cole wouldn't drink it. I could never figure out why until once when he first starting eating cereal I had heated some up and noticed a foul smell coming from the pot. I did not understand how the milk could possibly go bad... I'd always been so careful to sterilize and keep everything sanitary. But after realizing that I could unknowingly be feeding him bad milk I had to (yuck!) try my breastmilk before I gave it to him. Generally the milk that was kept in the fridge would be fine but sometimes it would get a soapy taste to it. The other night I was once again searching online for what it could be and happened upon an article that described my situation exactly. Turns out my breastmilk is high in lipase, an enzyme that breaks down the fat in milk. There are a couple ways I can try to store it so that it doesn't turn but once the composition changes there's nothing you can do with it and although they don't believe it's bad for the baby to drink most times they will refuse it.
This has really made me wonder if all of Cole's issues spitting up and gas stemmed from being fed stored breastmilk and not an allergy to dairy like I had previously thought. The past couple days I've added back in some dairy slowly, he's had a little bit of spitup but other than that it seems to be fine.
Well, after a week and a half of holidays Jeff is back to work tomorrow. I know Cole will miss him here... he loves it when there's lots going on. It should be a good week for both of us at home though since classes start this week for swimming, nursery rhymes and baby sign language.

No comments:

Post a Comment